Tuesday, August 14, 2007

national day musings

9 August 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SINGAPORE!

Now, usually I’m not the patriotic pro-establishment type but yes, I admit I’ve been bitten by the NDP bug.

All that money spent on TV trailers and signs in MRT trains and bus stops got me curious and I wanted to know what was so different this year just because of a change of location.

Unfortunately big-budget marketing and anticipation make for a potent combination called Disappointment. I’ve seen it all, the march past, the parachute people, the Aunties dancing awkwardly… You’d think after so many years of doing the same thing they would come up with something different.

And another to complain! The jet planes did not fly past my flat this year!
Boo! Hiss! Jeer! Write letter!

Alright, alright. Don’t call me ungrateful. I know the whole purpose of NDP is to celebrate independence and I know that Singapore is a safe, comfortable place to live in. I also know that they added some water stuff to play around with the theme of NDP at the Bay. Oh! And the fireworks were really pretty! Oh! And I cheered when LKY came out okay! I’m just saying that overall it was kinda disappointing. Kinda.

But if I was actually there and not in front of the telly the effect might have been better. Maybe that’s why so many people want those tickets every single year. Herald was saying that it was impossible to get them, those people probably sold their arms and legs to get tickets. If liddat I then dowan. How to do Kallang Wave without arms?! Wait, they’re not at Kallang hor... Hmm.

It also didn’t make me feel better knowing that Gym Class Heroes were performing at Fort Canning Park that same night for SingFest. Plus: Hinder! The Academy Is! The Great Spy Experiment! Cobra Starship! And all that stood in my way was 75 bucks that I didn’t have. Okay money wasn’t really the main issue. I’ve got some exams coming up and I’m saving myself for a possible MCR concert. Cross my fingers. :)

Ad for SingFest



<3,>

Sheena

* Disclaimer: the author is not criticising said country. Don’t get your panties up in a bunch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home